Saturday, January 17, 2009

I know it's a bit late, but...

‘Twas the month of December and all through the nation,

No holiday songs were heard on the radio station.

No mention of Rudolph nor pictures of Santa

Adorned “holiday” bottles of Coca Cola or Fanta.


No Endless hordes scrambling for late gifts to give spouses;

No red and green lights glare from the trees or the houses.

Yes, it’s that time of year but there’s no trace of snow,

Nor anything "festive" anywhere I go.


Now to Americans, I may be committing high treason

By saying I won’t miss this holiday season,

But I’m sick of our culture, so fiscally frivolous,

Spending all our spare cash on an Elmo that’s ticklish.


Each yard decoration tries to outdo its neighbors.

(Click here for a “Star Wars” Nativity Scene with lightsabers!)

There’s no Sandler’s “Hannukah Song” nor sleigh bells to ring-a-ling,

But in this third world country, I don’t miss a thing.


Perhaps the reason is that in a small Malian village,

with no strip malls or Wal*Marts for the locals to pillage,

I’ve recently gained a new sense of perspective:

Even those who have nothing, if they want, can feel festive.


A merry time was had with friends from Corps de la Paix,

Though I got sick of hearing Christmas music all day.

We had pumpkins and latkahs, menorahs and stockings,

But I had more fun hiking and sitting ‘round talking.


Now, when Malians celebrate they buy a cow and kill it,

And splurge on rice instead of plain old cheap millet.

So when you think you’re the only kid in town without a Christmas tree,

Remember your African friends who live at least as “modestly.”


I hope these rhymes weren’t too bitter or dour;

I wouldn’t want your sweet holiday season to sour.

Just remember for true happiness, one need not a dime pay,

So Happy Holidays to all, and to all: Basi te!

1 comment:

Gabrielle said...

Yay! Nice lightsaber. :P