Monday, July 14, 2008

Two for one!

I've had more computer time than internet access lately, so here are two blogs in one posting for you:



Paris’s Charles de Gaulle Airport is really nice.  It looks like what my parents in their somewhat dated stylistic sensibilities would refer to as “space-age.”  Red carpeted floors and a wood paneled cieling make up the interior, which in its airplane hangar-like shape and rows of lights above me that form flourescent trails like cars lit up on a highway at night seem like a stark contrast from what I’m anticipating in approaching days.  This is just one of the many things on my mind as I take a little bit of time to myself to update this blog and tell you about my last few days.

There has been hardly any time to think between meetings, seminars, travling, meeting people and sleeping, the latter being sadly the least frequent.  Monday, I arrived at the hotel downtown, which was lucky for me since it was the national orientation and just about everyone else had to fly here and was already out of their home city.  The first day went surprisingly well, and despite my normal aversion to having to make fridns with massive groups of strangers at the same time, once I realized that everyone was just as new there as I was and just as eager to make friends with the whole group, it was easy to loosen up and “work the room.”

Monday and Tuesday mostly consisted of icebreakers and educational general orientation seminars.  The staff members gave us a general idea of what to expect from life in Mali and how the Peace Corps runs, including little tidbits such as “The Maliaria prophylaxis doesn’t neccessarily give you nightmares, though I had some weird dreams about the local mosque blaring Pink Floyd” and that we should be expecting to eat our delicious millet meals three times a day, but some of the richer familiies we will be living with might splurge on chicken, eggs and spices.  There was a lot more information obviously, mostly running the gamut from inspirational speeches to remiders of protocal and all the ways we can potentially get kicked off the program, but a lot of emphasis was also placed on meeting people.  With 78 of us, the decided to split us in half, which allowed for much more efficient and friendly bonding, and so far, everyone I’ve met here seems to be intelligent, cool and very friendly.  I suppose it makes sense that Peace Corps would mostly be attracting the kinds of people who were outgoing, confident and smart, unlike say, at a college orientation where you could meet some of the best people ever or a room full of kids dumber then a shovel.

Outside of the seminars, we spent a lot of time walking around town, socializing and eating as much expensive and unhealthy food as possible (I think the girl who downed 4 Philly Cheesesteaks in 2 days took the record), all on the free cash given to us by the program directors to spend away our last few days here.  Wednesday, we recieved our yellow fever shots and our first doses of malaria pills (not something I ever really imagined myself having to go through - me taking malaria medicine??)  However, a few hours later, and anxiety begining to set in deeper than ever, we loaded our luggage, got on the bus, and pulled out of the hotel - and hit a parking sign.  So after making sure we hadn’t caused too much damage to civic property right before fleeing the country, we took off to JFK, and then to Paris.

The flight was fairly uneventful, except for seeing Bill Murray boarding our plane to Paris on first class and everyone having a mild freakout, and the plane serving us free wine, though I decided I’d rather let my body max out on the last dependably clean water supply I might have for a while.  And that brings me to here, about an hour from boarding a plane to Bamako, Mali.  I will probably post this once I get there since I don’t feel like paying for the wireless internet, so this entry will already be obsolete, but I’m also not certain what my web-usage schedule will be over there, so I  figure I’ll take advantage of the downtime here.  

On another note, if you want to sent me a package or mail, email me and I’ll give you my address in Mali.  That’s all I’ve got for now so I will abruptly and uncreatively say goodbye for now.

I’ve been here for about 2 days and already, I’m wondering if this whole blog idea is futile or not.  There are so many things to tell and nothing has even happened yet.  As a general overview, we got into Bamako airport on Thursday night without a hitch - and without hardly a wink of sleep in a day and a half - and were immediately bussed to the Peace Corps Mali training village called Tubani So, in Zamabunu (I think that’s what it’s called).  After an amazingly delicious dinner featuring some kind of Malian potato that is some of the best potato dishin’ I’ve had, we mostly grabbed our bags and headed off to our mud huts where I, with my two “hut-mates” went to sleep.

*Sidenote about our training center: Tubani So is in a small town outside Bamako, the capital city.  We all live in mud-brick huts with well-thatched roofs right off of the dusty road to everywhere else.  Everywhere else includes assorted other mudhuts, the dining hangar, various other hangars for meetings, seminars and orientations, and a few sports courts and fields.  

As for lavatories, because I know you all want to know, we use a “nyegen.”  It’s an outhouse...with a hole in the ground...that functions as a urinal, toilet, and shower drain.  That’s right, we have a shower here so that we don’t have to adjust to everything all at once.  But we also have a hole that we squat over and defecate into.  It smells as bad as you think, there are as many flies as you think, it’s just as uncomfortable and paniful on morale as you think, and the only saving grace is that they give us toilet paper here so we don’t have to immediately switch over to using a teapot as a bidet.  But we’re still never supposed to eat or shake hands with our left hand.  Yes, it is that bad.

But all the time I’ve spent outside the nyegen has been wonderfully interesting.  Right now, I’m listening to the noises of the night, which has the standard crickets complimented by clicks, chirps, and squacks of all varieties.  Earlier today, I heard one of the most entertaining bird calls I’ve ever heard, which can best be described as a wood saw cutting a log to the tune of “weeee-awwww, weeee-awwww, weeee-awwww, weeawweeawweeaw!”  I’ve also see some huge millipedes, and one guy said he saw a nice big scorpion on the road, and right now, the dining room I’m in is getting swarmed by giant flying kamikaze termites.  Oddly though, when I’m outside looking around, I’ve seen a lot of trees and bushes not altogether different from those at home, and almost forgot I was in Africa for a little while.  It’s still strange for me to say aloud “I am living in Africa right now.”

As for what we’ve actually been doing, a lot of it has been orientation, telling us what to do here, what to expect from training, etc.  Initially, it was a little bit of general information on medical rules, social customs, the typical orientation stuff.  Our trainers, some of whom are Malians, others actually being current volunteers, have been regalling us with tales of Malian glory, like when one girl who had been stabbed by a rose thorn and did not have the Bambara language skills to communicate the problem accidentally told her host mother that she had “been vaccinated by a tree.”  

More recently, we have been starting to learn Bambara, Mali’s indigenous language which is actually a lot of fun to speak.  It’s kind of the stereotypical African-sounding language, minus the clicks.  We have also been learning the ins and outs offf dealing with “Mr. D.” a.k.a. diarrhea, and his wife, “Ms. C.” whose identity I’m sure I don’t need to elaborate on.  We’ve been warned about all the gorey details and potentially alien contents of our stools as a result of various exciting parasites, and now we are all scared to eat or drink anything outside of our safe and protected compound.  The major rule so far is just to clean the hell out of our water and not to eat anything made on the street.  On Tuesday, we leave for “Homestay” where we have more intense language, cultural and skill training while living with a family in a village near Tubani So.  For now, I’m running out of things to think of saying, so I leave you saying a ni walu and see you next time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jake - best of luck in Mali. Send a note once you are there if you need some older computer stuff and i will ask around my company if we have spare computers.